Case study: Program manager
A production plant of an automotive supplier acquired a project for the the new platform. Completely new products to be manufactured. The project required co-ordination of R&D, technology, production, suppliers/purchasing and logistics.
The Program manager was responsible for all activities necessary in order to launch a product from customer nomination until launch and running smoothly in production. He was required to manage more than one program simultaneously over a number of locations.
The holder was accountable for:
- Planning, organization and target setting:
- Set up / maintains program structure (timing, team, budget), plans required resource
- Cascades agreed program targets to team members
- Generates program timing / planning according to customer milestones and internal
- Controlling / Managing / Problem Solving
- Systematically manages program risks
- Empowered to take any decision required for the program (within defined limits)
- Solves conflicts at his level and within the team
- Escalates issues to management that cannot be solved within team
- Task Execution
- Integrates lessons learned from previous programs
- Prototype order processing for programs
- Communication and Reporting
- Communicates to customer (timing, program status, change management)
Length: 6 months (prolonged)
The role was handed over with a proper training to a Project manager just in a SOP time.